3.25.2013

1960s Record Cabinet Remix

Ok so..... I don't even own a record player but I had to drag this 1960s record cabinet home. As long as I have space, things that are mid-century modern, in decent shape and a fair price will make their way into my home. I found this piece at Antiques on Hildebrand, San Antonio, TX. 

BEFORE


I thought this project was going to be a real quick fix but it turned out to be the most painful I've ever done! I made the worst mistake ever which was taking a "short cut" and not lightly sanding the wood veneer. I know, I know. I should know better but I just figured I could slap on the paint with primer  and everything would be ok. Wrong! The paint just kind of sat there. Lumpy and streaky. I wanted to give up on it because it was destined for disaster with each each stroke. 

Once the inside of the cabinet was spray painted red, I started on the outside with white semi-gloss paint and a paint brush which left brush strokes everywhere. Now, Im no pro but this has never happened before so thats why Im blaming the streaky disaster on not sanding. Once the paint dried, I decided that I would go over it with white spray paint to try to get rid of the streakiness. Surprisingly, it made it a lot better but not quite right. After that I went back at it with the semi-gloss paint but with a sponge roller instead. Doing this made the paint go on a lot smoother and I could slowly start to see satisfactory results.

  

When the white paint was finally dry, I covered the legs with plastic so I could spray paint the metal tipped legs with gold spray paint. Painting the legs and knobs was the only easy thing about this project (minus the wind which decided to blow really hard the moment I began spraying).


When I put the cabinet in the office I remembered that I actually owned records. Yes, records but no record player. Its like having cereal with no milk (actually, nothing is quite that bad!). 

This past Christmas I was home visiting and I stopped by my friend Noura's record store, Pyramid Music in Augusta, GA and I decided that I needed to have a record because I've never owned one. I can never go in there without wanting to buy something. Not because we are friends (we actually met because I went there looking for the original release of N.E.R.D.'s "In Search Of..." CD back in 2004), but because it's filled with so much cool stuff! I walked out with these three things...


Vanity 6 and the soundtracks to Miami Vice and New Jack City. I am without a doubt a kid of the 80/90s!


AFTER


Finally, the after. Now all I have to do is find a record player.


  Fin!

3.21.2013

Goodwill Hunting

Before


Just when I'd decided that my hunt at the Goodwill was a total bust, I bumped into this little 1960s cabinet. My first thought was, "Who would send this to the Goodwill? Must be crazy!". Or maybe I am the crazy one for being such a big mid-century modern enthusiast. Sure it had a little wear and tear but nothing a few hours of DIY couldn't fix. At the price of $24.99, it was SOLD!

During



Since the wood veneer was badly damaged in some areas, I scraped it off and replaced it with wood veneer strips. I bought the pack of strips with adhesive already applied at Lowe's for about $10. The strips were simple to cut. All you need is a good pair of sharp scissors. Other rehab items included: paint scraper (to remove veneer), sandpaper, aluminum foil, iron, paint.




The iron is to melt the veneer adhesive to the furniture. The foil is just to protect the iron from the adhesive.



I really didn't want to remove the original veneer here because it would've been too much work for such a small problem. Instead, I cut a small piece of veneer that was the same shape of the nick to fill it in and then sanded it. The picture below is one of many nicks I filled in. 





This is probably my favorite color (for the moment) but I'm sure you noticed!

                   

I am more than thrilled with the results!!! Overall the project was easy. I thought repairing the wood would be hard but it was a breeze. The only trouble that I came into was keeping the little metal 'x' decals on the doors paint free. I tried taping them but it didn't work out. I eventually got stressed out and painted over them but before the paint dried, I just knew I'd regret it so I grabbed a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to get the paint off. Worked like a champ. Overall this project cost me about $48 (including the price of the cabinet). Can't beat that price for a one of a kind piece!